Options

Follow Me on Pinterest

JUST A PINCH

JUST A PINCH
You can find some of my favorite receipes here!! (Be patient, just getting started)

Sunday, July 15, 2012

You can't do the same thing today and expect a different result!!

7-15-2012

What's so special about today? Today really has been like any other Sunday at home with my hubby. Up early to plan a Sunday dinner, maybe cook up something for lunches this week. Most who might follow this blog know I LOVE to cook....but I also LOVE to eat. Who doesn't right?

 What some of you may not know is that my love of cooking and eating hasn't been helping health issues I have. Some of which I have been dealing with my whole life, others that have creeped up over the last few years!! I was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 years ago. I have been kidding myself thinking this will ever just go away. Especially without me trying to actually do something about it. I have too much to live for these days and I certainly don't want a chocolate bar or that bag of "cheesy poofs" aka cheese puffs to take that away!!!

So.... I guess today (not sure why it's today) when I woke up and thought about cooking Sunday dinner and lunches for the week I thought. "I can still do this cooking thing that I love so much, but I have to start thinking healthier."

I am deciding to do this blog thing as a way to make myself accountable. Its also another  way for me to share some of my recipes.  And, if it helps other people keep me accountable then that's even better. Let's face it....its not gonna be all lettuce and tuna fish.   I am gonna fall off the wagon. I am gonna eat that piece of chocolate and an occasional "cheesy poof".


Today can be today....tomorrow can be tomorrow. One day at a time is all I can do right now. I hope as I begin this journey I can look back and realize as I am approaching the big 4-0 that life can really begin at 40. Tomorrow is a new day and I look forward to a healthier and even happier day after tomorrow!!

So check out a preview of tomorrow night's dinner!!!

 
Cabbage and Pepper Casserole

5 chopped green peppers
1 large onion ( + I use the onion tops also fresh from the garden)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1/2 head of cabbage (cut into about 1 inch square pcs)
1 lb ground meat ( I used venison because it was lean, but you could use lean beef or even ground chicken or turkey)
1/2 container of low sodium chicken broth (about 16 oz.)
1 can of condensed tomato soup
1 large can of crushed tomatoes

Brown meat with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic until cooked thoroughly.  Cook peppers, onions, and cabbage until slightly softened in addl olive oil. ( this will be going in the oven too for further cooking).  Combine meat and vegetable mixture and then add the tomato soup, chicken broth, and crushed tomatoes.

Once all items are combined pour into large casserole dish or other oven safe pot ( I used my cast iron dutch oven and it makes for great cooking).  Cook at about 45 to 60 mins covered.  Cooking time really varies based on how you like your vegetables.  I prefer them to still have a little crispness.

I hope you'll try this and let me know what you think.

Enjoy..... M

No comments:

Post a Comment